Saturday, January 3, 2009

Finding Comfort

So what do you do when you need to keep your mind off things?

Everyone I've talked to seems to have an idea of how to get my mind off something that is really bothering me. Some tell me that I should spend more time at the gym, some tell me to write, some to have a piece of chocolate or to even get swept away by a good book.

But when I really want to get my mind off things...I watch movies. Usually the girliest romantic comedies I can find. So far today it has been The Prince and Me 2 followed by The Prince and Me...hey I can't help it that TBS ran them backwards. Now I've moved onto Emma. If I had my own movies here I probably would have put in Ever After, Pride & Prejudice, The Holiday, The Notebook or even Shakespeare in Love.

So what is it that draws me to these movies, maybe I enjoy being swept up in the almost fairy tale story lines. Some, particularly the period movies allow me to enter a world I could never experience otherwise. Maybe its because romance like that doesn't seem to appear as frequently or as grandly as they portray it.

In the end it puts the thoughts I wish to ignore out of my head for a bit and allows me to escape to a happier place. I do also from time to time enjoy a good book or even sit down and write my own romantic comedies. But for now, romantic movies shall be my drug of choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment